Wednesday, June 08, 2011

#4: Enjoying God

Circumstances have led me to be working from home today. So I’m sitting here on my deck. The sun is out, not a cloud in the sky. It’s warm, but a strong, cool breeze is blowing from the south providing a nice balance and keeping the deck bug free. My yard is freshly cut. In contrast, the field beyond is grown up and seems to be leaning against the split rail fence at the edge of my property. Beyond the field are a row of trees that are leaning slightly to the right, giving way to the wind but standing their ground. And then finally, the lake, just sitting there, just being water, and yet somehow working its magic on my soul. I hear leaves blowing, birds chirping, and, in the distance, a farmer working on his tractor. The entire scene can be summed up with one word… beautiful.
Beauty is one of my all time favourite arguments for God. Like morality, evolution has nothing to say about beauty. Sure, my instincts might cause me to long for water, but to be soothed by looking at it? Why does grass, trees, birds, water and wind bring me so much peace and joy? Why does waterfront property cost so much? Why do people travel thousands of miles to sit and stare at the Grand Canyon or the ocean or the mountains? Evolution can’t explain this.
No, the truth is, we have a God and that God is beautiful. Beauty is an expression of himself. He made the universe to be stimulating, satisfying, and inspiring. There’s no science for it. Just like there’s no science for faithfulness, patience, humility, or sacrifice. It’s art. It’s heart. It’s the other part of us that defines what it means to be human. You won’t find the beauty gene or discover the instinct that causes us to take pictures of sunsets. It’s simply a gift from God. He loves beauty and he loves sharing it. So here I am, sharing it with him and with you.
Christians, a piece of advice: be careful that you don’t get so caught up in the mechanics of faith and life that you miss the wonder and loveliness of it all. Life is hard, but it is also magnificent. Christianity is impossibly difficult, but it is also deeply fulfilling. Love is costly, but it is also majestic. One of the great benefits, and yes requirements, of a life of worship is the more perfect enjoyment of things. Because of Jesus, I can sit here and enjoy this scene without the anxiety of losing it. I can enjoy it without the anxiety of trying to improve upon it. I can enjoy it without trying to make it more than it is. I can enjoy it knowing that it is a mere taste of what is in store for me. And most importantly, I can enjoy it for what it truly is, a gift from God. What peace! So, don’t forget to enjoy. And when you enjoy, don’t forget to enjoy what you enjoy with the one that gave it to you to enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:29 PM

    In today's society, we are so busy to the point that we don't stop and look at Gods beauty. I constantly forget that. Not because I intend to, but you just don't think about it. This blog is a reminder that "beauty is in the eyes of the Creator."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice quote. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this. I've had similiar thoughts, I've been so busy with school and CCA's and exams, that I forget. But remember to also cherish the sunset, because without it we wouldn't have a sunrise

    ReplyDelete